Household chores can be tedious and time-consuming. So why not outsource it to a bot? Robot vacuums are becoming increasingly popular and for all the good reasons. They do not come with long, unwieldy cords and can clean the house with minimum assistance from the owner for starters. Moreover, they are efficient and can be easily controlled using a remote or smartphone app.
Roborock and Roomba are the most popular brands of robovacs in the market. Their models offer superior cleaning performance and come equipped with a smart mapping feature that makes cleaning a breeze.
Let us now take a deeper look at the two well-known brands and see how they differ.
Roborock Vs. Roomba
The cost of a robovac is an essential consideration while deciding which one to buy. The price of the models offered by Roborock is lower than those of Roomba.
While the starting price of a Roborock is around $400, you will have to shell out over $500 for Roomba’s entry-level model.
- Best-in-class technology of smart navigation maps your house, plans route and schedules. It can cross over things lower than 2cm, clean without omission and self-recharge, but avoid falling down the stairs, hitting or scratching your furniture, or being stuck by obstacles.
- Synchronous sweeping and mopping: Sweeping system is designed to increase the wind utilization and draw all the dust into the dust bin with nothing left. Mopping system prevents the hemming, leaving no water streak and water stain at rest. Work once, thorough clean.
- Smart APP control: use the Mi Home App for scheduling, map saving, setting no-go zoned& barrier tape, zoned cleaning, spot cleaning, direction control, real-time monitor and customization. Compatible with Android, IOS, support Alexa voice control. 12-month warranty provided.
- 2000Pa strong suction and multi-mode system: Carpet, Quiet, Mopping, Balanced, Turbo & Max mode, switching among different modes flexibly to meet request of different floor types. Enjoy your cleaning time.
- iAdapt Multi Room Navigation uses a full suite of sensors to navigate and adapt to your changing home
- Room to room cleaning in up to 3 rooms with the included Virtual Wall Lighthouse beacons
- AeroForce 3 Stage Cleaning System delivers up to 50 percent more cleaning performance
- Tangle free extractors help prevent hair and debris clogs
- AeroForce High Efficiency Filter traps fine dirt and dust
Both these brands of robot vacuums make use of a navigation system to guide them around the house and pick up as much dirt as possible.
There are 2 main types of algorithms used for navigation- Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM) and Visual Simultaneous Localization and Mapping(VSLAM).
The difference between the two being- SLAM relies only on navigation sensors, while VSLAM uses a real-time camera and the sensors for navigation. Thus making it superior to SLAM.
Roomba features the VSLAM navigation while Roborock employs the SLAM navigation.
Roborock also makes use of a laser beam, which helps it to navigate even under low lighting.
Except for the Roborock S4, all other models of Roborock are capable of vacuuming and mopping. On the other hand, most of the Roomba models can only perform the vacuuming function. If you wish to get the mopping done too, you must invest in the Braava series along with the robovac.
The Roborock models can vacuum and mop in one cleaning cycle. Thus there is no need for investing in a separate mop. The mopping system consists of an onboard water tank and a microfiber mopping pad. The cleaning liquid slowly disperses to the bottom of the mop pad, which gently scrubs the floor. It works well on tile and hardwood floors.
- Vacuuming power
Although Roomba’s latest models, like i7 and 980, have suction power in the range of 1700Pa, it does not match the 2000Pa delivered by the Roborock S5. The higher suction power is beneficial for cleaning carpets thoroughly.
- Side brush
Robovacs have two sets of brushes- the primary brush and the side brush. The side brush’s main job is to push the dirt onto the path of the primary brush, which then picks it up.
The Roborock models have a better side brush when compared to the Roomba. The S6, S5 Max, and S4have side brushes made using silicone material. It is thus more resistant and durable.
- Astonishingly efficient: Using adaptive routing with edge optimized cleaning, S6 gives you comprehensive room cleaning fast.
- Multi-floor Mapping: Save multiple maps, along with No-go Zones for each level, all recognized automatically by the robot.
- Convenient Selective Room Cleaning: Choose which rooms to be clean, and schedule cleaning for specific rooms.
- Powerful clean and Easy mopping:Intense suction, cleans deep into carpets and cracks in the floor. Get your floors gleaming with a quick mop.
- Quiet and convenient: With a cleaning volume of just 67db (equivalent to a typical conversation) in Balanced mode, you can clean any time day or night without disruption. S6 is also easy to maintain, and the integrated cable tidy in its dock keeps things elegantly wire-free.
Although the Roomba S9 features a new side brush, the bristles are prone to bending. This makes cleaning less effective over some time.
- CLEANS UP AFTER YOU, AND ITSELF - Forget about vacuuming for months at a time with the CLEAN BASE Automatic Dirt Disposal that allows the s9+ to empty itself for up to 60 days. With the Anti-Allergen System, 99% of pollen and mold allergens are trapped.
- OUR MOST ADVANCED CLEAN - You—& your home—deserve the best. With groundbreaking technology & a sophisticated design, the s9+ is our smartest, most powerful robot vacuum yet.
- DEEPEST CLEAN - With 40X the suction power, the superior 3-Stage Cleaning System lifts, loosens, then eliminates debris & pet hair from deep within your carpets. Increases suction to clean even deeper into carpets with power boost technology.
- DETAILED POWERFUL CLEAN - PerfectEdge Technology with advanced sensors & a specially designed Corner Brush optimize cleaning deep into corners & along edges. Ideal for homes with pets. 30% wider Dual Rubber Brushes don't get tangled with pet hair.
- GUIDED BY SERIOUS SMARTS - With vSLAM navigation, the s9+ learns the layout of your home & builds personal Smart Maps, enabling it to expertly clean & navigate in neat, efficient rows. If it’s running low on battery, it recharges & resumes cleaning.
The side brushes’ quality is worth considering, especially if you have more carpet area as it causes higher friction while cleaning. If the bristles are not strong enough, owners will have to replace it frequently.
- Clear voice messages
Most of the robovacs available in the market, including the Roomba models, rely on a series of clicks and beeps to deliver error messages. Contrarily, the Roborock models use a human voice for the same purpose.
The clear messages delivered by Roborock are easy to understand and do not leave room for any ambiguity. Another exciting feature of the Roborock is that it supports multiple languages. You can thus listen to the error messages in your local language!
- Low light
Roomba works well in a room that is well lit. However, if the lights are out or in places with little darkness, the camera fixed on top becomes less efficient. As a result, it gets stuck and does not clean the place thoroughly.
Insufficient light is not an issue for Roborock as it makes use of laser for navigation. It, therefore, does not depend on external light.
- Multiple-pass cleaning
There are situations where a mess requires more than a pass to get cleaned. In the case of a Roomba, it is possible to configure it to make two passes manually. However, this applies to the full cleaning cycle instead of just an area or two.
On the other hand, the Roborock models allow its users to specify the cleaning zones in the app and the number of times the zones must be ideally cleaned. It allows a maximum of 3 times in a single run.
The filtration system of any robovac is essential. The filters on either brand are well equipped to trap allergens and dust and prevent it from getting back into the house.
However, Roomba has an efficiency rate of 99%, which is much higher than the 95% delivered by Roborock.
The Roomba models use an AeroForce filtration system while the Roborock models come with E11 grade filters that are washable.
- Virtual barriers
If there are certain places in your home that you do not want your robovac to touch, then you must set up a virtual barrier. Although the models of both these brands support this feature, they do it in different ways.
In Roborock models, virtual barriers can be set up on its smart app by using the no-go lines. These lines indicate the robovac not to go to those places. As for the Roomba models, a device comes along with the robovac to create the virtual barrier. The owners must place this device in the area they do not want robovac to go. When it sees the device, it views it as a wall and simply turns away.
Even though Roborock models have higher suction power, they do not make much noise. Unfortunately, this is not the case with Roomba, as many users feel that it produces too much noise, primarily when it operates on higher modes.
Roborock-S5 Vs. Roomba-980
These are the 2 heavyweights in the robovac category. They are very popular models and have high customer ratings. Below is a brief explanation of the various features of the Roborock-S5 and Roomba-980:
The Roborock S5 is the best selling model of robovac from the brand. It has one of the best navigation systems in its category. Apart from vacuuming effectively, this robot can also mop the floors. Here is a short description of the unique features of the Roborock-S5:
- Battery life
It comes with a high-capacity 5200mAh battery. It has an impressive battery life and can operate for 150 minutes in low power mode and 110 minutes in high power mode. It can clean many rooms on a single charge. When it is out of charge, it docks itself to the charging point on its own. It has a suction capacity of 2000 Pa.
As mentioned earlier, the Roborock S5 can vacuum as well as do the mopping. What is amazing about the mopping mode is that it uses the biomimetic system to let the water seep onto the microfiber mop cloth. This ensures that there are no puddles of water left behind. The water tank can be easily pulled out from the bottom and filled with water.
- Virtual barriers
It is possible to set up unlimited virtual barriers using the Roborock S5 app. After uploading the app’s floor map, owners can draw lines and boxes to create as many no-go zones as they desire. The virtual barriers are very accurate. The movement of the robot can be effortlessly tracked live on the app. Moreover, these barriers work even when the robovac operates in the mopping mode.
Many high-end robovacs bumps into obstacles like chairs or stools. However, this is not an issue with the Roborock S5 as it comes with sensors fitted on its front side. These sensors alert the robot when there is an obstacle near it and tells it to slow down. This significantly reduces the chances of the robot bumping into anything.
The Roborock S5 features spring-loaded wheels, which not only adds dexterity but also serves as a shock absorber. As a result, it can conveniently pass through the ledges at the doorway and continue with its cleaning job.
- It is possible to create several virtual barries using the app
- It has an excellent run time even when operated in the maximum mode
- It supports dual functionalities- vacuum and mop
- It has a perfect navigation system
- It has a small dust cup
The Roomba-980 has many features that can impress even the harshest of critics. It has a unique dirt detection technology that ensures your carpets always remain clean. Here is a short description of the unique features of the Roomba-980:
- Battery life
The Roomba-980 has a decent 3600mAh battery pack. It can run continuously for 120 minutes. Once it is out of charge, it automatically stops and finds its way to the charging point. Once it is fully recharged, it resumes its job.
- Brush Roll
The Roomba-980 features a double brush roll beneath its surface. These are highly effective for cleaning hairs. Normal brushes have bristles on them, which causes the hair to get entangled in it. However, the brush roll of this robovac features ridges instead of bristles. This helps to brush the carpet and remove pet hair without any tangles.
- High air power
The suction capacity of this robovac is 1670 Pa. It features a 3-stage cleaning system that makes use of Roomba’s patented AeroForce technology. Due to this, it has up to 10 times the air power found in other robovacs. It is thus capable of pulling out debris, pet hair, and dirt from anywhere. The power boost technology increases the suction power automatically whenever a carpet comes in its way.
- Dirt Detection
Some areas in the house attract more dust than the others. If your home has such areas, you will surely be impressed by the dirt detection feature of the Roomba-980. This robovac from Roomba removes dust and is also capable of detecting a lump of dirt lying on the floor. After it detects the dirt, it works in that particular area until it is spotless.
- The rubberized brush rolls avoid the hair from getting tangled in it
- The suction power automatically increases when the robot detects a carpet
- The dirt detection technology helps in even cleaning of the floor
- It makes efficient use of its battery and power
- The app has a user-friendly interface
- It runs into obstacles quite frequently
Not everyone has the time or the inclination to keep the floors of their house spick and span after a long day’s work. This is why investing in a robot vacuum makes perfect sense. They not only offer a hands-free alternative but also remove grime and dust off the floors effectively. It is, therefore, a valuable addition to any household.
The Roborock models are suitable for people who are looking for a cost-effective robovac. The fact that it can vacuum as well as mop the floors adds to its overall appeal. It is easy to set up, provides excellent coverage, and has smart mapping features.
Roomba has a long history behind it. It has a proven track record and is well tested. The dual rubber brush bar is competent at picking up pet hair, making it an excellent choice for pets at home.
As is evident in this review, there is a lot to like about Roborock and Roomba. The various models of both these brands have many useful features. So how do you pick? Well, the answer ultimately depends on how much you are willing to spend and your house requirements.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?